[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 22 Sep 2003 13:50:47 +0200

Any idea about this registration (not about the confusion linux vs gnu
but the nature of the software - see below)?

Personally, I'm not in favor of hosting this project because, despite
of what the submitter say, it does harm games. Most of the recent game
propose "cheat" features in the software when you are not playing
over the net with other real persons but with AIs.
Searching of process memory is clearly going outside the scope of the
desired functionalities proposed by the software authors (and if you
are not fine with this software, you can modify these software an
release your modified version) and I find this behavor immoral,
because you are playing on the security holes of the software against
others lawful users.

However, I know that cracking libraries can be used for security.

However, I acknowledge that this is a personal feeling and it is not
the Savannah policy to accept or reject project depending on the
moderator in charge's feelings.

So I would like to know what you think, what should be the Savannah
policy about it in your opinion.

PS: Please try to reply within 2 days at most.

Regards,