[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool -

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Voyeur - Linux game hacking tool - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 26 Sep 2003 12:12:11 +0200

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> said:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:31:29AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > To me, freedom to disregard fairness and common rules is an
> > harm. Being able to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
> > freedom: in this case, this freedom should not be given because it
> > creates more harm than anything else.
> > (I often use this example to show that every "freedom" should not be
> > given)
>
> To me, your analogy isn't correct.  "Being able to" isn't the same as
> "having the freedom to".

Hum, in fact my sentence was not clear. The following is more
redundant but more accurate:

"Having the freedom to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
freedom" (indeed!)

Or

"Being legally able to rape any women in the street could be seen as a
freedom"

> Any Free Software program can be used to be unfair or to do harm.
> But that doesn't say it is being used that way.

Yes, if your software can serve another purpose than being unfair and
harmful.

> > I think that Savannah should only host Free Software not
> > specifically designed to unfair attitude, which, to my mind, is
> > not something that Savannah should promote.
>
> For me, Savannah should host any kind of Free Software (that doesn't
> rely on non-free software, etc.).
>
> Users have the right to use it for what they want.  It is up to the
> user if he uses it for bad things.

When someone harm other persons, it's surely up to him. But I do not
want to provide the tool specifically dedicated to harm each other.

> > We ask people to use the term Free Software instead of Open
> > Source, because we think using Open Source is harming Free
> > Software. So we have already a set of rule forbidding harmful
> > attitude.
>
> That is true, but to me these things are for to different.
>
> > Can you think of a use case of this software which not be something
> > harmful and unfair?
>
> The program can also be used to fix holes in Free game software.

No, it cannot. Read the description of the program.

> > If you can, hosting this software would be ok for me. If you
> > cannot, I would not agree, I do not like at all the idea to
> > contribute, by choice and not by ignorance, to unfair actions.
>
> I agree with your idea.  But for me this program should be approved.

Your use case does not seems to me realistic according to the program
description.

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: