[Savannah-hackers] submission of mytunes - an mp3 player. - savannah.non

From: b00tle99a
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of mytunes - an mp3 player. - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:34:15 -0400

William Cahill <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: mytunes - an mp3 player.
System name: mytunes
Type: non-GNU

mytunes is going to be a wonderful new mp3 player.  I had searched the web,
including the savannah sites, for mp3 players, and couldn't find any ones to my
liking, particularly any made for NeXT/Open/GNUstep.  So I started my own.  The
current (almost ready?) source code can be found at
http://thuhfreak.isa-geek.com/~bill/mytunes.tar.gz (theres also a bz2'd
version).  I say almost ready because I still have to work out some gui issues,
fix audio, but generally everything I want for the first release is there.  I
had originally intended it to be an xmms-frontend (so you may notice references
to xmms throughout the code/gui), but I decided to switch gears and go without
xmms.  The main advantage (I hope) that mytunes will have over other, players
(like xmms) is reasonable playlist support.  I have recently switched from osx
to gnu/linux, and I had loved iTunes and how it handled all that.  So I wanted
to mimic iTunes smart playlists, and interface a bit.  I, of course, won't
refer to that program directly in the public description.  I tried to keep
pretty strict to myself about GPL issues.  I made sure to have a notice at the
top of every page, and to have the COPYING file at the root.  And, about the
files that came up before (this is my second registration attempt): I had been
trying several different id3 libraries (GPL'd or similar), and had intended to
link with them, but in testing I had their source mixed with mine (sorry).  I
think I got rid of all of them from the source directory.

Other Software Required:
mytunes depends on GNUstep, Open/NeXTstep, or Mac OS X, or similar system
(foundation and appkit libraries).  I made it on GNUstep, but hopefully I
avoided any GNU-specific extensions for portability's sake.  It also uses
libmad for mpeg->pcm conversion, and libid3tag for reading (and eventually
writing) id3 tags.

Other Comments:
I would also be interested, if I meet the requirements, for mytunes to be a
part of the GNU project.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/