[Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7064] Submission of qemuGL

From: Alexander Shulgin
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: Fwd: [task #7064] Submission of qemuGL
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 00:44:44 +0300

On 9/11/07, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't like what he says. He says that at qemu they don't track
> authors per file and that it's ok. But at Savannah, we are here to
> teach recommended copyright good practices - we're teachers, not
> students ;)

OK, I see that the ChangeLog file in qemu tracks authors on
per-feature/patch basis, but it should not be a problem (for qemu
community) to track changes per-file in the scope of this GL patch
project.

> So I think he needs to modify files that are non-trivially changed (if
> he modified a couple lines, no problem, but if the change is
> consequent (is it?) then he needs to add his copyright notice). The
> goal is that when I copy code from a project, I copy the file's
> copyright notices along.
>
> What do you think?

May be we can convince him at least to put copyright notices in every
modified file in the form of "Copyright (C) 2007 Even Rouault et al
(see GL_AUTHORS for the complete list of contributors)"...  Is this
acceptable practice? :-)

This way the project can give credits to most contributors and prevent
copyright notices bloat the qemu community afraid of.

Alex