[task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 07:52:46 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #4 comment #4:]
> After reviewing the code in a bit more detail, I think you are right about
the files in the demo and doc directories, which (despite the incomplete HTML)
are standalone web pages, and so I have updated them accordingly.

Thank you!

> But I think it would be impractical, or at least very awkward, to put inline
notices in the other files for the following reasons:

> 1. The files in the queues/ and tmp/ directories are example newsgroup
articles which users manipulate as part of a simulated moderation scenario.
Such articles don't normally contain copyright and licence notices and so
adding them (even as custom headers) could be confusing to users, who might
mistakenly believe that the software inserts such messages into all its
output, even in real-world scenarios.

I don't think I understand this.  Copyright and license notices are not
written by software, and some parts of the files in question are hand-written;
why people are likely to think that the notices are added automatically?

> 2. The files in config/ are configuration files, and the scripts that read
them do not have any provision for processing comments (behind which we would
need to hide the copyright/licence notices).

As far as I can see, all copyrightable files in this directory do have
notices; if there are some scripts that don't allow comments in those files, I
think you should modify them to allow comments (they would also be useful for
other purposes) or (e.g. if they are third-party) pre-process your files
before feeding them to those scripts.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15760>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/