[task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #15760] Submission of WebSTUMP
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 03:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #6 comment #6:]

> > I don't think I understand this.  Copyright and license notices are not
written by software, and some parts of the files in question are hand-written;
why people are likely to think that the notices are added automatically?

> Yes, the articles are largely hand-written.  So if users see exactly the
same boilerplate text in every newsgroup article, they are liable to think
that that part of the article has not been hand-written but rather
automatically inserted by the software.

Copyright of the code generally doesn't cover the output of the program,
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatCaseIsOutputGPL, so this would
be wrong; on the other hand, if the developers know that certain notices shall
apply to some particular generated files (e.g. articles in the tarball), it's
OK for those files to have the respective notices automatically added, like in
the output of the GNU standard option _--version_.

If the confusion be a real problem, it can be addressed with a note in the
documentation or next to the notices in the files themselves.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15760>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/