screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Extend windows command, introduce Xx string escape

From: Thomas Renninger
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Extend windows command, introduce Xx string escape
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:38:33 +0100

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 02:42:31 AM Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:07:52AM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> > these patches are based on the master branch of this git repo:
> > git://git.savannah.gnu.org/screen
> >
> > Unfortunately there seem to not be much activity any more?
> > Is this project/code still maintainted?
> > Are there people who still want to maintain/enhance things?
>
> Oh nice
> % ./screen -S 18034 -Q windows "%n %t\n"
Eh that should be %x (or %X) instead of %t?
> 0 zsh
> 1 man
> 2 bash
>
> I tried tmux, it's nice but feels weird in use, so I started maintaining
> my own screen tree (I even send some patches but activity is
> as you probably noticed almost none...)
Yep, I also thought about setting up something, but I am not sure
it's worth it.

If, then documentation here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
should get adjusted and this link:
"You can get the source code from here."
should point to a git (github?) repository which is maintained.

I also wonder how much clean up is worth it for an initial set up.
Some ideas:
  - Get rid of the top level dir and make /src the toplevel dir.
    patches, incoming, mktar.pl seem to be useless or outdated.
  - Remove old style code:
        - like "register" commands for function call optimizations
        - Strange function declarations. This:
static int
ParseEscape(p)
char *p; {}
           should be:
static int ParseEscape(char *p) {}
  - Use Tab for indentation
  - ...

and how much of git history might survive this.

> If anyone wants to try it's here http://github.com/amade/screen
> most changes are for my own use so it may not work with other setups
> (tested on linux only, I removed/hardcoded most of ./configure options,
> some hardstatus escapes were also removed in favour of scripts and a lot
> of other stuff)
> I can probably backport some changes back to upstream, but this work
> would only make sense if there was any chance of it being applied :(
>
> Anyway thanks for patch and just letting know that there is at least one
> person still poking at stuff.
If I am the only one I certainly will do it similar like you do.
If you or others are still interested we might want to give it a go after
finding out who could adjust the GNU project page.

           Thomas