screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Extend windows command, introduce Xx string escape

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Extend windows command, introduce Xx string escape
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:32:53 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 04:38:33PM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2013 02:42:31 AM Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:07:52AM +0100, Thomas Renninger wrote:
> > > these patches are based on the master branch of this git repo:
> > > git://git.savannah.gnu.org/screen
> > >
> > > Unfortunately there seem to not be much activity any more?
> > > Is this project/code still maintainted?
> > > Are there people who still want to maintain/enhance things?
> >
> > Oh nice
> > % ./screen -S 18034 -Q windows "%n %t\n"
> Eh that should be %x (or %X) instead of %t?

command can be different from title, I like this because it outputs
stuff in multiple lines which allows for easy scripting

% ./screen -S 18751 -Q windows "%n %t | %x | %X\n"
0 zsh | /bin/zsh | /bin/zsh
1 man | /bin/zsh | /bin/zsh
2 bash | /bin/zsh | /bin/zsh
3 bash | bash | bash

> > 0 zsh
> > 1 man
> > 2 bash
> >
> > I tried tmux, it's nice but feels weird in use, so I started maintaining
> > my own screen tree (I even send some patches but activity is
> > as you probably noticed almost none...)
> Yep, I also thought about setting up something, but I am not sure
> it's worth it.
>
> If, then documentation here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
> should get adjusted and this link:
> "You can get the source code from here."
> should point to a git (github?) repository which is maintained.
>
> I also wonder how much clean up is worth it for an initial set up.
> Some ideas:
>   - Get rid of the top level dir and make /src the toplevel dir.
>     patches, incoming, mktar.pl seem to be useless or outdated.
Yes, I've done something similar ie moved most of stuff which is no
source files to toplevel, but I don't have preferred way

% ls
COPYING  ChangeLog  FAQ  HACKING  INSTALL  README  TODO  drafts
mktar.pl  src

>   - Remove old style code:
>         - like "register" commands for function call optimizations
>         - Strange function declarations. This:
> static int
> ParseEscape(p)
> char *p; {}
>            should be:
> static int ParseEscape(char *p) {}
>   - Use Tab for indentation
>   - ...
>
> and how much of git history might survive this.

Also done similar things:
rewrite of definitions:
https://github.com/amade/screen/commit/40283126353b7ad06ecdc962fd733bb7c1f1596e
code reformatting:
https://github.com/amade/screen/commit/8507a32852aa292f7ccc5a99446de2cb4cb5f46f
(I used tool to reformat), git blame shows most of the stuff is touched
by me, so you either have readability or commit history

> > If anyone wants to try it's here http://github.com/amade/screen
> > most changes are for my own use so it may not work with other setups
> > (tested on linux only, I removed/hardcoded most of ./configure options,
> > some hardstatus escapes were also removed in favour of scripts and a lot
> > of other stuff)
> > I can probably backport some changes back to upstream, but this work
> > would only make sense if there was any chance of it being applied :(
> >
> > Anyway thanks for patch and just letting know that there is at least one
> > person still poking at stuff.
> If I am the only one I certainly will do it similar like you do.
> If you or others are still interested we might want to give it a go after
> finding out who could adjust the GNU project page.

Well I'm certainly interested

Amadeusz