Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:51:54 +0200

Hi Michael,

I've been trying to make an atmega88 and a atmega168 based on the atmega48.
Having written my code and wanting to try to compile it,
I edited Makefile.am to add them to the build system.
When I ran bootstrap again, I got a slew of messages about bad cached data.
When running configure, I was told that --enable-python was not a recognized
option.
--enable-tcl was ok.

I don't know, what this messages mean about cached data. I hadn't such
before.

I think, the configure option --enable-python isn't available at all
here. If python is found, then, for example, regression test (make
check) will be available. --enable-tcl is introduced by m4/enable-tcl.m4. (but I plan to introduce a configure option to enable/disable python modul)

You have appended Makefile.am from root directory. But to compile your new added sources together with the others you have to extend src/Makefile.am. (maybe a mistake?) There is a list of C++ sources on libsimulavr_la_SOURCES, there you have to add your *.cpp.

Then you have to extend pkginclude_HEADERS with new created header files, if you have such. But this wouldn't be needed to compile and link all. pkginclude_HEADERS is needed for building installation or distribution. Not for building program.

Grettings, Thomas