Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:10:06 -0700

On Tue Jul  7  8:51 , ThomasK  sent:

>> I've been trying to make an atmega88 and a atmega168 based on the atmega48.
>> Having written my code and wanting to try to compile it,
>> I edited Makefile.am to add them to the build system.
>> When I ran bootstrap again, I got a slew of messages about bad cached data.
>> When running configure, I was told that --enable-python was not a recognized
option.
>> --enable-tcl was ok.
>
>I don't know, what this messages mean about cached data. I hadn't such
>before.
>
>I think, the configure option --enable-python isn't available at all

It was before I tinkered.
I needed it to get the python extension to work at all.

>here. If python is found, then, for example, regression test (make
>check) will be available. --enable-tcl is introduced by
>m4/enable-tcl.m4. (but I plan to introduce a configure option to
>enable/disable python modul)
>
>You have appended Makefile.am from root directory. But to compile your

Arrrg. I grabbed the wrong Makefile.am .
I'll have to get home to find the right one.

>new added sources together with the others you have to extend
>src/Makefile.am. (maybe a mistake?) There is a list of C++ sources on
>libsimulavr_la_SOURCES, there you have to add your *.cpp.

That is what I did.
I searched for "48".
In any list that had it, I added my new .lo (I think), .cpp or .h
files as seemed appropriate.
Does order matter in those lists?

--
Michael Hennebry