Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] why I hate autotools
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:54:11 -0700

On Wed Jul  8 11:40 , Joel Sherrill  sent:

>address@hidden wrote:
>> On Tue Jul  7  9:10 , 'address@hidden' address@hidden> sent:

>> I'm home.
>> I've attached src/Makefile.am and the result of
>> cvs diff -c in the root.
>>

>The Makefile.am has "atmega668*".  I thought you were
>implementing atmega88 and a atmega168.  Is that a typo.

No.  It's a base class for both.
One can't get much more base than the neighbor of the beast.

>The other changes are independent.  Text changes.  static
>to dynamic libbfd.
>> ./bootstrap -c didn't help.
>> I've also attached the result of ./bootstrap .
>>
>Ahh what host OS are you on?  This appears to
>be an issue with autoconf 2.62.  I am on Fedora 10
>and have 2.63 which must have fixed this.

See subject.
I'm on Fedora 9.
I read too many horror stories about installing Fedora 10.

>Other projects have had users encounter this.  I found
>this URL: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/20
>>
>> I took a quick look at this. Looks like autoconf-2.62 expects cached
>> variables to be of a certain format. All these variables are within
>> MPE. Is it just a matter of renaming these variables?
>>
>> If this is simple enough, we should try to fix it for 1.1a2.
>>
>I would update the autoconf version.  Even if you have
>to install it in a private location just for your use.

Thanks.
I'll try that.
Not instantly.  I'm not at home right now.

--
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden