sipwitch-devel

Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch and csipsimple failure over WAN

From: Steve Murphy
Subject: Re: [Sipwitch-devel] Sipwitch and csipsimple failure over WAN
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 21:59:19 +0200

You could be having problems because of lack of router 'hairpinning' .
There must be a route ( in the router ) between  the local subnet and
the publically forwarded router ports ,   for two clients  to be able to
call each other when sipwitch is outside  ( i.e.  local hosts must be
able to connect to each other by publically forwarded ports ) . You can
find some more discussion of this here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sipwitch-devel/2010-08/msg00002.html

If you are using linux and have stun client installed you can find out
if your router supports 'hairpinning' with
stun  stunserver.org

One my network ( using cheapo  linksys routers )  I get

STUN client version 0.96
Primary: Indepndent Mapping, Port Dependent Filter, preserves ports, no
hairpin
Return value is 0x000017

The clue is in 'no hairpin'.

This may or may not be your problem.   Most consumer routers do not
support hairpinning.  They expect machines on local network to connect
to each other on the local network and not by forwarded ports.

If in doubt try and make a call between clients on different subnets  (
maybe you can use a sip client on a mobile device to test this).

If you find this is your problem,  I believe you have ( at least )  2
options.
a) Get a different router
b) Run sipwitch on the local subnet AND on a public server.

--
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded
copies subsequently transmitted from Gnusys Limited, are confidential and

Gnusys Limited is registered in England and Wales No.3859372.