sketch-devel

Re: New Skencil website

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: New Skencil website
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:07:03 +0100

[Technical details continued on the devel list.]

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:27:08PM +0200, Joonas Paalasmaa wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:45:04PM +0200, Joonas Paalasmaa wrote:
> >> http://speedloop2000.com/skencil/skencil.org/

> > Would you be willing to maintain the website for a while?
> Maintaining the site is OK for me.

Great!

This is what we do to get the pages on www.skencil.org:

        Until savannah can accept that we point our DNS entry to them,
        we will host a copy of the pages here at Intevation.
        Copying will be done by a web proxy, so all we need to do is:

        a) Put the page sources and your scripts in a new CVS module
           "skencil-web" on skencil source CVS on savannah.
           That is important, so that authorized project members
           can change them.

        b) Make the pages appear on Savannah.
           Needs research, probably they would appear on
           www.nongnu.org/skencil
           and it will mean to upload the produced pages somewhere.
           (Each time a person creates new pages.)

        c) Initialise the copy process
           and enable     www.skencil.org

Can you do a) and b) and trigger us (over the list) for c)?

> I just did a system that should suit
> fine for managing the website. Unformatted pages are located in a folder (
> http://speedloop2000.com/skencil/skencil.org/pages/ ) and they are
> processed by a script (see updatepages_py.txt for its source) to produce
> complete XHTML pages. I managed to copy all content from the old site
> except the gallery.

Got a few comments on the pages:
        Though the background was probably done with gimp,
        I guess we should remove the "Graphics made by gimp" button.
        For two reasons: It adds to the download size.
        And major part of the graphics, the hand, was done with Skencil.
        People would expect us to use Skencil. :)

        It is important to use only relative links or if absolute
        ones are necessary, use "www.skencil.org".

        The content could be cleaned up a bit, I guess.
        Just use your common sence, I'd say.

        The gallery should be part of the webpage.
        What was the problem with it?

        We need to keep a link to the various places
        were the old versions of Sketch and Binary packages are
        archived. Until we can clean that up and find a place
        to have all sketch tarballs ever in existance
        in one archive directory.

Bernhard R.