sketch-devel

Three Ques.

From: Joel Biddier
Subject: Three Ques.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:20:25 -0800

I have been working on the installation and fonts doc and have a few questions:

1. Does Skencil require Ghostscript for any function (outside of the PS Type 1 fonts)?

2. In general, what exactly is the function of PIL for Skencil?

3. Is libpng required for the placement of png files?

My progress so far :

(1)
Finished the compiling PIL (v 1.1.4) section for Solaris 8 (revised) and SuSE 9.2 (which does not include a PIL rpm as of this version!). The process is different for Unix and Linux. Note that I used the old manual installation method ("make -f <file> boot" and "make") - I don't assume "setup.py" works (and in the case of Solaris it does not work as indicated. In addition, the "setup.py" script does not seem to save any time from the overall configuration and installation process - at least for me. I may add a section for which the "setup.py" script is used. But for now I will only use the method I know works.).

(2)
Worked out the std.sfd and alias.sfd files for SuSE 9.2 (can now access all the SuSE pre-installed Type 1 fonts - X11 and Ghostscript) and ready to document it. (the Solaris 8 std.sfd and alias.sfd section is already done - X11 only. I may add a Ghostscript alternative section, though.).

(Note)
As indicated above, I am documenting SuSE 9.2 (and not 8.2 as previously stated). I also moved RedHat 8 to Fedora C2/3. I thought it better to work with the latest versions of the OSs for the documentation - it will give each document a longer life span.

--J