sketch-devel

Re: More Ques.

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: More Ques.
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:50:54 +0100

Joel Biddier <address@hidden> writes:

> (1)
> Here is my general dependency list (or requirements list) for Skencil:
>
> 1. Python (with Tkinter)
> 2. PIL
> 3. zlib (for PIL)
> 4. libjpeg (for PIL)
> 5. Tcl and Tk (Tkinter and PIL)
> 6 Ghostscript (for EPS previews and fonts if desired)
>
> I compile  PIL with the libjpeg and zlib libs and include the Tkinter
> bindings (e.g. _imagingTk) (I also use the X includes and libs).

_imagingTk is not needed for Skencil.  It doesn't hurt to compile PIL
with it but Skencil doesn't use it.

There are two optional depencies: If you want to use the SVG import
filter you need the PyXML package and for PDF export you need reportlab.
Links are on the web-page.

> What is the relation
> bet/w the std and alias  sfd files? I can only guess that the FontName
> (first entry in both files) acts as a key bet/w the two files. But which
> one holds the afm names and which the pfb/pfa names (or does it not
> matter)?

It doesn't matter.  The name is only the basename of the file anyway.
The alias file is there so that more than one basename can be associated
with a font name.  When Skencil searches for a file it tries all the
basenames with the appropriate extension appended, regardless of whether
it looks for an afm file or a pfb.

> When adding new fonts (in a separate dir), the afm and pfb/pfa
> names are usually the same and it becomes ambiguous to which holds what.

In that situation you don't need an alias file.  I only added the alias
file because some common fonts are often available with different
basenames.  E.g. the metrics distributed with Skencil use the names used
in TeX but the actual font files used are often the ones from
Ghostscript which use different names.

> Also, the first entry in the std.sfd file (the afm "FontName"), How does
> Skencil use this data field exactly (to match up the alias? To use the
> PS Type 1 fonts via this name (as oppose to the afm "FullName")?
> What?).

The font name identifies the font in Skencil.  It's stored in the .sk
files, for istance, and it's used in the PostScript code generated by
Skencil, because it's also the name under which it's known to
PostScript.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/