sketch-devel

Re: Three Ques.

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: Three Ques.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:25:09 +0100

Joel Biddier <address@hidden> writes:

> I have been working on the installation and fonts doc

Great!

> 1. Does Skencil require Ghostscript for any function (outside of the PS
> Type 1 fonts)?

Ghostscript itself is only used to render preview images for EPS files
embedded in a Skencil drawing.  The fonts distributed with Ghostscript
are useful but not required in 0.6, unless you want to convert text
objects to bezier curves.

> 2. In general, what exactly is the function of PIL for Skencil?

PIL handles all of the raster images in Skencil.

> 3. Is libpng required for the placement of png files?

No.  Skencil uses PIL to load PNGs and PIL has its own PNG reading code.

> The process is different for Unix and Linux. Note that I used the old
> manual installation  method ("make -f <file> boot" and "make") - I don't
> assume "setup.py" works (and in the case of Solaris it does not work as
> indicated.

What exactly doesn't work?

   Bernhard

--