Orca and Speech Dispatcher

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: Orca and Speech Dispatcher
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:51:45 +0200

M?rian Bruckschen wrote:
> OK, uninstalled. But now it says I don't have python-speechd:
>
> ImportError: No module named speechd
>
> mirian at mirian-laptop:~$ slocate speechd/client.py
> /home/mirian/spd062/src/python/speechd/client.py
> /home/mirian/spd062/src/python/build/lib/speechd/client.py
> /lib/python2.4/site-packages/speechd/client.py
> /lib/python2.4/site-packages/speechd/client.pyc
>
> Is this client.py in lib dir the right module? If yes, is there any
> way for me to get python (and, therefore, orca) to recognize it? If
> no... what else can I do?

Good, we are nearly there.  You probably don't have
lib/python2.4/site-packages in your python path.  You can check by the
following command within python shell:

  import sys
  print sys.path

This will print the list of directories, where python searches for
packages.  To fix your problem, you have two options.  You can either
add the directory to your python path or link the library to one of the
directories, which are already searched by python.

For the first option, you can for example add the following line to your
~/.bashrc:

export PYTHONPATH=/lib/python2.4/site-packages

For the other option, you might invoke the following command as root:

ln -s /lib/python2.4/site-packages/speechd
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages

Note, that it should be all just one line.  I consider
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to be in your python path...

Let us know if that helps.

Best regards, Tomas