Orca and Speech Dispatcher

From: Mírian Bruckschen
Subject: Orca and Speech Dispatcher
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:21:22 -0300

Hi Tomas!

On 8/3/07, Tomas Cerha wrote:
> Good, we are nearly there.  You probably don't have
> lib/python2.4/site-packages in your python path.  You can check by the
> following command within python shell:
>
>   import sys
>   print sys.path

It wasn't included in my python path, indeed.

> This will print the list of directories, where python searches for
> packages.  To fix your problem, you have two options.  You can either
> add the directory to your python path or link the library to one of the
> directories, which are already searched by python.
>
> For the first option, you can for example add the following line to your
> ~/.bashrc:
>
> export PYTHONPATH=/lib/python2.4/site-packages

OK, done.

> For the other option, you might invoke the following command as root:
>
> ln -s /lib/python2.4/site-packages/speechd
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages
>
> Note, that it should be all just one line.  I consider
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages to be in your python path...

Just one of the options should suffice, right?

Now I can import speechd module:

mirian at mirian-laptop:~$ python
Python 2.4.4c1 (#2, Oct 11 2006, 21:51:02)
[GCC 4.1.2 20060928 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-13ubuntu5)] on linux2
>>> import speechd

... but still can't see "Speech Dispatcher" among "Speech system"
options (actually, there's only GNOME Speech available). And orca
gives me this trace info:

(...)
BRAILLE LINE:  'Starting Orca Preferences. This may take a while.'
     VISIBLE:  'Starting Orca Preferences. This ', cursor=0
SPEECH OUTPUT: 'Starting Orca Preferences. This may take a while.'
Speech Dispatcher interface not installed.
(...)

And now, what can be the problem? Is there any other orca config I may
be missing to make it see my speechd python module?

About orca, I got the svn latest release and compiled it according to
the instructions in <http://live.gnome.org/Orca/DownloadInstall>. Is
this the expected version, really? "rc" means that the older version
(apt-get installed previously, and now removed) is already
uninstalled, so it can't be conflicting, right?

mirian at mirian-laptop:~$ orca --version
Orca 2.21.0pre
mirian at mirian-laptop:~$ dpkg -l gnome-orca
Desejado=U=Desconhecido/Instalar/Remover/aPagar/H=Manter
| status=N?o/Instalado/arquiv.-Config./U=Descomp./Falhou-config/H=semi-inst.
|/ Erro?=(nenhum)/H=Mantido/precisa-Reinst./X=os dois problemas
(status,Erro: mai?sculas=ruim)
||/ Nome           Vers?o        Descri??o
rc  gnome-orca     1.0.0-0ubuntu4 scriptable screen reader

Thanks for your attention,

--
M?rian Bruckschen