Language selection in speechd-el

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Language selection in speechd-el
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:50:31 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Sorry but this discussion already partially took place in this
list and I recieved answers but certain points remain not clear
for me. I am currently using cvs version of speechd-el (updated
yesterday) and emacs-22, whith cvs version of cedet (updated
yesterday.)

Language can be selected in speechd-el in many ways, but I
think that the user will appreciate to perform as less
operations as possible to do it.

Anyway its possible to select the language through the
current-input-method via the
speechd-speak-input-method-languages alist.

1. If I'am not wrong current-input-method is something that
must be selected manually by the user. Simply tell me if I read
emacs documentation too fast !!! But for instance coding
systems is something that is guessed by emacs with respect to
the buffer content and more or less reflecting the language
you are using. I would consider as natural then to offer a
mapping between coding systems and languages in speechd-el. I
think that I is not something very complicated to implement,
simply creating an alis just like
speechd-speak-input-method-languages but mapping coding systems
on languages and that must be checked at the appropriate
location in the code.

2. More surprisingly I tried to use mapping between faces and
voices via speechd-face-voices variable. When I change
(manually) current-input-method in a buffer, language is
changed accordingly speechd-speak-input-method-languages but
not for pieces of text displayed whith faces mapped to special
voices ! Why ? I must confess that I do not understand this
priority schedule. In my opinion, face does not depend on the
language as input-method do : hence language determined by
input-method should override that determined by face.

Bests

Pierre