pull request for Espeak pitch range fork

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: pull request for Espeak pitch range fork
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:06:18 -0400

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 04:30:16PM EDT, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 02:49:18PM -0400, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 11:15:49AM EDT, Hussain Jasim wrote:
> > > Hi, I couldn't find anywhere on the website to do this.
> > >
> > > I've pollished up my Speech Dispatcher fork to add support for
> > > Espeak's pitch range (AKA inflection) control, and I'd like to get it
> > > merged into upstream. I've been using it for a while now on my system,
> > > and no issues have come up.
> >
> > I see that there was placeholder code in the espeak driver to support this
> > at some future date. Why completely implement this at the server level even
> > when espeak is the only module that supports this feature at the moment?
> > Secondly, what clients are likely to use the APi addition, given that there
> > is only one synth that supports this?
>
> So, I'm not aware of a way to not implement this in the server and allow
> clients to change the setting.  I'd really like to see ssip gain a way
> to handle settings custom to modules, there'd be some way for a client
> to ask what settings a module has and then change them.  On the other
> hand pitch control seems kind of generic, so maybe generic support for
> it is fine.

I have been thinking along similar lines myself. I don't think it would be too
much to add. I'm on my way home now, but I'll see if I can possibly come up
with a first draft of an implementation some time in the next week or so.

> btw do we actually no none of the other modules can support pitch
> controls?

No I don't, and I haven't investigated, I just assumed, which of course is
wrong to do, particularly in coding. Its probably worth glancing over the APIs
of the various synths we support and having a look.

Luke