speechd-el overriding command presentation

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: speechd-el overriding command presentation
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:48:36 +0100

    PV> If possible I would like to get some hints on customizing
    PV> speechd-el reading.  I understand that in plain text buffers
    PV> with no formatting speechd-el reads current line or the
    PV> appropriate unit according to the cursor movement.

Basically yes.

    PV> In other places perhaps within dired file list speechd-el just
    PV> reads the name of a file.  I assume because the file name is
    PV> formatted differently than other file attributes displayed for
    PV> each file.

Right.

    PV> Recently I have installed twittering-mode, connected to twitter
    PV> and noticed it has nice navigation shortcuts implemented for
    PV> navigating within twittering-mode buffers. Analogous to the
    PV> twitter website pressing letters j and k move to previous / next
    PV> status. Movement is working as expected however speechd-el is
    PV> only reading a word where the cursor has moved. If it's indeed
    PV> doable I would like to change it so the whole status would be
    PV> read.

I'd try setting speechd-speak-by-properties-on-movement to nil for that
mode.  E.g. if that mode provides twittering-mode-hook then something
like

  (add-hook 'twittering-mode-hook
            (lambda () (set (make-local-variable
'speechd-speak-by-properties-on-movement) nil)))

should make speechd-el to ignore text properties when speaking the
context.

Regards,
Milan

--