Re: swarm on linux

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: swarm on linux
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 19:25:59 MDT

>I've just reinstalled Linux to a recent Slackware version (kernel 1.8.83)
>and have upgraded the swarm software to the recommended versions.  I've also
>made the bug fix that Manor recommended in MessageProbeWidget.  Everything
>installed and compiled cleanly but heatbugs, market and mousetrap won't run
>due to an arithmetic exception. The stack output (from heatbugs) is:

>From the Swarm FAQ:

When I start any Objective C program on my Linux machine, I get a
floating point exception.

  This is a bizarre bug in Linux libc-5.0.9. The quick fix is to hide
  the problem by linking all Objective C programs with -lieee (in Swarm,
  set OTHERLIBS in Makefile.conf to -lieee). Alternatively, upgrade to
  libc-5.2.18 or newer.