Linux Problems

From: Chris Goldspink
Subject: Linux Problems
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 15:42:28 +0930

I am having some difficulties with some aspects of a RedHat Linux 4.1
install. Having spent several days trying to fix a print problem, using
several different books on the subject and sending messages to Linux
Newsgroups with no joy, my frustration levels are running high.

I have no local access to Linux/Unix expertise and while I appreciate it
is not the purpose of this list to provide operating system support, I
was wondering if there is someone who would be prepared to provide some
one to one assistance on this occasion.

At present I have all aspects of the system running including XWindows,
swarm apps and libraries are installed but until I sort this print
problem I cannot run off some postscript doco I want in hard copy before
proceding with Swarm Tutorials.

I will set out my problem below - if anyone can/is prepared to help
please contact me directly at address@hidden

I cannot get any output to the printer using lp services. The hardware
interface checks out as I can manually direct files to the printer.

The ps -ax command shows that the lpd process is running.

Print jobs are sent to the spool directory okay. The lpc status command
indicates that the queuing is enabled, printing is enabled, there are
valid entries in the spool directory but that there is no daemon
present.

I have checked and reset all relevant file permissions I can think of,
the printcap file seems okay. I set up printcap to send error messages
to a log file, created that file but it remains blank. The only error
message I can find is in the spooler log. A separate entry occurs each
time I send a job to the spool directory and it reads:

innd: ME cant GetConfigValue pathhost Connection refused.

I do not know what this refers to or if it is the key to my problem!