Re: Displaying before running

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Displaying before running
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:10:11 -0500

At 06:14 PM 7/11/97 +0200, Nelson Minar wrote:
>Several of my students have a very natural question - they want to
>display the state of the world at time 0. That way they can see the
>initial conditions of the system.
>
>However, I can't figure out how to make that happen with the standard
>ModelSwarm / ObserverSwarm split. The problem is both schedules have
>an action at time 0. But it's magic behind the scenes which actions
>happen first.
>
>Back when we designed this whole mess we talked a lot about making
>sure that people could specify relative ordering of actions in these
>circumstanecs. Is that possible in this case? If so, how?
>
>(The quick hack - don't start the model until time 1 - doesn't work.
>For some weird reason the repeat interval can't be equal to the first
>time that action happens.)

Seems to me one of my apps does exactly what Nelson is asking for -- during
startup it halts 3 times so the operator can fiddle with parameters in
probe windows; the last time is at time=0 with all created bugs showing in
their respective windows.

Don't know what I'm doing that nobody else is, so I'll need to look over my
ObserverSwarm a bit. I'm forwarding it to Nelson so he can have a fun
weekend, too. In the interests of saving bandwidth, I'm *not* passing it on
to the whole group, as it's 68k big (2100 lines, much of it not relevant to
the problem at hand.)

Nelson or I will report back ...

Cheers,
--Sven