Re: Binary Swarm Users: Show me your Makefiles!

From: Jon Davis
Subject: Re: Binary Swarm Users: Show me your Makefiles!
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 13:25:02 -0500

I had some trouble getting the binary version of Swarm installed as
well. First off, I didn't know anything about Linux so that took a
while. But, after a while I finally got it down and now I've installed
the binary Swarm successfully. Once I figured it out, it was pretty
easy. Sven's Installation Guide was really helpful because I have RedHat
4.1. I never would have figured it out without that info. Benedikt
Stefansson also gave me some advice at a recent conference. Thanks!

The steps I followed:

1. Download the swarm distribution (source + binary) and any other
things you might want from the Swarm website (e.g., applications,
documentation, tutorial, etc.).

2. Run gunzip to un"gz" the files. Then run tar -xvf [filename] to
unstuff each file. I unstuffed everything to a subdirectory called
swarmhome in the /usr/local directory. One would have to modify the
following instructions if they put the files somewhere else.

3. In /usr/local/swarmhome/swarm-1.0.1, edit the Makefile.conf. All you
have to do is get the directories right in the SETUP=NONE section of the
file. Note that the directories below reflect a standard RedHat 4.1
install.

SETUP=NONE

SYS=linux
OTHERINCDIRS=-I/usr/local/swarmhome/swarm-1.0.1/include
-I/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1/include/objc
OTHERLIBDIRS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.1
#SYSDEPLIBS=

To find the above directories, I used the find /usr -name Object.h
command to find the objc directory in OTHERINCDIRS. Then I pointed to
the swarm-1.0.1/include directory that was installed when I decompressed
swarm.

For OTHERLIBDIRS, I did a find /usr -name libX11.a to find the first
directory and find /usr -name libobjc.a to find the second directory.

4. Once I edited the Makefile.conf, I switched to the Heatbugs directory
Then, I edited the makefile in the heatbugs directory to point to
swarm-1.0.1 directory.

I typed "make" but I got an error (identical to that noted in Sven's
Installation Guide). Sven noted that it was necessary to establish some
symbolic links when installing under RedHat 4.1 so I followed his
instructions:

a. I symbolically linked the directory containing Xlib.h to the
swarm-1.0.1/include directory, as follows:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/include/X11/ /usr/local/swarmhome/swarm-1.0.1/include

I found the directory to link, again using the find /usr -name Xlib.h
command.

b. Next, when I typed the "make" command in the heatbugs directory,
heatbugs seemed to compile ok. But when I typed ./heatbugs the program
bombed indicating some kind of error about not being able to find a tcl
file. This called for another symbolic link as per Sven's instructions.
So,

c. I did a find /usr -name [filename] for the file that the error
message indicated couldn't be found. Then I symbolically linked this to
the appropriate swarm directory (either include or lib, I can't recall
which).

d. Another try at "make" after deleting the object files in heatbugs and
I saw another successful compilation. But again an error when I tried to
run ./heatbugs, this time something about not being able to find a tk
file. As before, another symbolic link, using find to locate the missing
file and then symbolically linking the directory to the appropriate
swarm directory (either include or lib, again I can't recall which).

5. At last, on the third attempt at make, heatbugs ran like a charm. As
did most of the other stuff I downloaded (after I edited the Makefile in
each case to point to the swarm-1.0.1 directory.

This was my experience on RedHat 4.1...

Jon Davis
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana