NEW FAQ on the way: Was: Re: Need help installing libtclobjc

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: NEW FAQ on the way: Was: Re: Need help installing libtclobjc
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:38:03 -0500 (CDT)

Last weekend I decided to get together a lot of the little installation
details and update the Swarm FAQ.  I am not completely finished, as I'm
still wishing somebody who did a binary install would show me their
makefile and tell me if they had to create environment variables for
TK and TCL even though they properly included OTHERINCDIRS and
OTHERLIBDIRS.  Except for that detail, and a couple of links I did not
yet insert, these are ready to show!

I bring it up now because there is lots of detail on installation,
especially with Redhat.  So, when the new users come along, point them
here, and when I'm finished, I'll send them to Glen for inclusion in the
SFI web pages.  These can be got at through my very little linux page
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/linux   .  Very shortly, they will
move on to SFI, I hope.

It seems to me that the problem described below is due to absence of
files installed by XFree86-devel.  That is a frequently encountered
problem in the BLT installation. I suppose if BLT was not installed
first, the user would hit the problem with libtclobjc. Right?

If that diagnosis turns out to be correct, I'll add an entry under
libtclobjc installation.

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Michael Friedlander wrote:

> I'm trying to get libtclobjc set up on my machine and am running into
> difficulties.  I've just installed Red Hat 4.2.
>
> After ./configure I get the following errors:
>
> checking for X... (cached) no
> checking for X11 header files
> Warning: couldn't find any X11 include files
> checking for -lXwindow (cached) no
> Warning: couldn't find any X11 library archive.  Using -lX11
>
> Which files do I need, where do I get them, and where do I put them?
>
> I would appreciate any help.
> Yours,
> Michael Friedlander

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916