Re: Help on Make command

From: Gek Woo Tan
Subject: Re: Help on Make command
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:50:22 -0600 (CST)

> GWT> I clicked on swarm.exe which opened a window with the following
> GWT> message (or prompt??): I have no address@hidden//D/Swarm] $ (Is
> GWT> there something wrong?
>
> The install procedure assumes that the place you have installed the
> Cygnus development kit is also your `root' directory.  I'd suggest
> making D:\ your `root' directory.  Specifically, the Cygnus
> environment wants to find an /etc/passwd file (which Swarm does
> install, if necessary).  So try this:
>
>   D:\Swarm> umount /
>   D:\Swarm> mount D:\ /

I tried, both in the window that popped up when I clicked on Swarm and
also in the DOS window.
Apparently, it doesn't recognize both umount and mount commands.
Actually, it doesn't recognize a lot of commands, including "ls" and
"dir".

I finally opened the Bash window from Cygnus/.../bin directory and ran
"make -C \\d\swarm\swarm-1.1".  Something happened, with a bunch of
errors.  One of the errors was that it cannot find /opt/gnu/bin/gcc.
Well, the only gcc that I can find on my machine is in Cygnus/.../bin
directory.  So my theory is that Swarm doesn't know that the executable
files that it needs are in Cygnus/.../bin directory.  How do I tell it
where the things are?  (Is there a path that I can set or something?)

Another question: I finally succeeded in installing emacs on Windows 95
(Praise God!!)  But I need to run it from the Emacs directory.  Is there
a way that I can setup such that I can run emacs from Swarm's
directories?  (currently, I paste a shortcut in Swarm-1.1 directory, but
I don't want to do that for every directory.)

Thanks a LOT!!

Gek Woo

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
-- Psalm 37:4

address@hidden
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~g-tan/