Re: 2nd Problem Installing Swarm2.0 in LinuxPPC R5

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: 2nd Problem Installing Swarm2.0 in LinuxPPC R5
Date: 05 Sep 1999 09:23:57 -0700

DS> Everything seemed ok at this point, but I was somewhat concerned
DS> about forcing the installs.

I don't think you should force the installs.  Better to uninstall the
previous versions.

DS> 3.  Do I need newer versions of tk/tcl?  I guessed that 8.0.4 was
DS> newer than 8.0p2.

That should be fine.

DS> Since it looked like all I needed to install was libffi

2.0 typically doesn't need libffi.  On some platforms libffi is
needed because the avcall in Swarm fails to compile or work.  Try it without
first.

DS> `/home/darren/swarm-2.0/libobjc/config/powerpc/compiler-info-generic.h',

In /home/darren/swarm-2.0/libobjc/config/powerpc, try copying
../i386/compiler-info-linux-gnu.h to compiler-info-generic.h.

You're the first person to attempt to use Swarm 2.0 on a Power PC.
The Objective C / Java link requires machine-dependent macros and
compiler information in order to do its thing, and these features have
not yet been tested on PPC.  At worst you should be able to
comment out mframe.m from MSRC in the libobjc Makefile and build without
the feature that is (only) used by the Java layer.