1st Problem Installing Swarm2.0 in LinuxPPC R5

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: 1st Problem Installing Swarm2.0 in LinuxPPC R5
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:47:37 -0700

So, tonight I did a fresh install of Linux PPC 1999 (aka R5) on my Mac G3. One of my partitions has all the required software listed in the Swarm2.0 install guidebook. That partition is a Mac drive mounted as "/mnt/macos".

In that directory I typed:

mkdir $HOME/needed
tar -xzf gcc-2.95.1.tar.gz
cd gcc-2.95.1
./configure --prefix=$HOME/needed

After a lot of other text (that didn't appear to include any warnings) I got the following:

linking ./intl/libgettext.h to intl/libintl.h
ln: cannot create hard link `intl/libintl.h' to `./intl/libgettext.h': Operation not permitted
configure: error: can not link intl/libintl.h to ./intl/libgettext.h
Configure in /mnt/macos/gcc-2.95.1/gcc failed, exiting.
address@hidden gcc-2.95.1]#

1. What do I need to do to get gcc-2.95.1 to configure correctly?

2. On page 7 of the Swarm 2.0 installation guidebook it says "You need gcc 2.7.2 or greater installed on your system, including the Objective C support, libobjc.a"

a. Is libobjc.a a distinct file I need to install after gcc? or,

b. Is libobjc included in gcc-2.95.1 and will install automatically with 2.95.1? or,

c. Is libobj included in gcc-2.95.1, but needs special compiler instructions?

3. Anything else I need to know to get gcc to compile correctly?

On the good news side, I have finished my next version of the Schelling simulation that includes a way of measuring the dissimilarity index (a traditional measure of racial segregation).

Darren

Darren Schreiber
Attorney at Law
Graduate Student