RE: Probes

From: Fred Wan
Subject: RE: Probes
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:51:00 +0100

Probes appeared to be useful because they automatically update themselves
(at least the visual ones) and they are able to do some basis statistics
(averaging). The non-visual ones don't seem to have that advantage. The code
fragment belows shows how a bugList is traversed to pick a bug (i.c., Bug
#1), how it is tried to change its colour (doesn't work) and how MesageProbe
is retrieved (with getProbeForMessage, which is a method of a SwarmObject!)
to print out the X-position of the bug. To feed this to a file, an activity
needs to be scheduled to do this repeatedly. It now seems easier to do that
by calling the accessor method of the bug directly (as a scheduled
activity). Would any of these two ways be recommended, or is there a better
way?

Thanks,
Fred.

    SimpleBug targetBug;

    for(int i=0; i < bugList.getCount();i++) {
        if( ( ((targetBug =
(SimpleBug)(bugList.atOffset(i))).getBugNumber()) == 1) ) {
            Globals.env.createProbeDisplay(bugList.atOffset(i));
            ((SimpleBug)(bugList.atOffset(i))).setBugColor((byte)4); //werkt
niet
            MessageProbe bug1MessageProbe =
targetBug.getProbeForMessage("getXPos");
            System.out.println("The Xpos of Bug #1 is (retrieved with
MessageProbe): " +
                bug1MessageProbe.doubleDynamicCallOn(targetBug));
        }

    }