Status of Swarm-2.2 prerelease and 2.1.XXX series. (was "Compile errors

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Status of Swarm-2.2 prerelease and 2.1.XXX series. (was "Compile errors on ...")
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:18:41 -0500

Maybe this is a FAQ entry. I'll take votes and insert something. Now that the FAQ manager is working with the newest mozilla, I can update the FAQ again.

I say:

For the last stable release, swarm-2.1.1, there were binary editions for all the major OS- various linux, unix, and windows. These are all built form the same source code through the magic of gcc, etc.

For a long time, there were updates for the swarm-2.1.1 release. WE (Marcus Daniels) released the source code in the ftp. Marcus Daniels was putting compiled binary file updates in a directory named fixes. Those were the dll files that we helped people drop into their existing swarm setup. We relied on Marcus Daniels and some volunteers like me to make updates in binary form. I do the RedHat updates, Marcus was issuing fixes for 2.1.1 on windows.

WHen Marcus's work on 2.2 got pretty far along, Marcus quit issuing the little fixes for 2.1.1 and we quit having Swarm as a complete replacement for Cygwin, and went back to the idea that people would install Cygwin and then install Swarm separately. For that new setup, called 2.2-pre in various notes, you are getting swarm packages in a big tarball and you can look in the FAQ to see what to do. You install Cygwin, plop in the tarball, and dink with your environment.

Now, about versions, 2.1.140 is a specific snapshot of "swarm 2.2 prerelease". If you look in the swarm source code, you will see a file VERSION which states the version as something like 2.1.140 or such. I consider those to be the official versions of the development series and that is the number i put on an RPM.

We are eager and willing to have volunteers build snapshots for SOlaris, Dec Alpha, MacOS, Debian Linux, Mandrake Linux, and so forth.

Right now, I am in charge of recruiting SDG members to raise some money in order to hire a release guy to finalize 2.2.

There are many improvements in the Swarm 2.2 package and i think it is very useful (of course, I'm biased because I wrote some of those things, and with the help of Marcus Daniels, they are in the system now. In the development series after about 2.1.90 or so, there are significant speedups in random number generation and after about 2.1.130 there is enhanced serialization support for C arrays and such, as well as improved communication between EZGraphs and the Averagers and such that they spawn.

If you are building 2.1.140 from scratch, please be aware you need gcc3 with a little patch we make available. IF you don't want to patch gcc, you need to change one little line in the Swarm source code. I've documented that to swarm-support in the past, and could again.

An wrote:
What is the difference between binaries for snapshot releases and the stable release? Applicable in different OS? Thanks.

Li

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504