Re: Comments and questions

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Comments and questions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:04:52 -0500

An wrote:

*(a) Should I unzip or untar everything in the "testing" directory into a local folder (say, C:\Swarm)? There are three sub-folders under "testing," i.e., OSF5-Tru64, old, and COM--how to deal with them?*

I worry that we are wasting your time. Installing/building out of testing is something for people who have unix experience and understand the idea of a "source code" distribution in contrast to a "binary distribution". Compiling Swarm itself it is not a thing for people who are "regular windows" users. OSF5-Tru64 is a unix variant on DEC/Digital/compac systems. If you take swarm from testing, all you want is the 1 tarball, swarm-2002-05-10.tar.gz or something like that. Generally, you can put that any where you like, but just remember all you have there is the source code that is used to build the program, not a functioning Swarm installation.

From there, you have to learn how to compile it, which will take you a while to understand. If you have some experience with building GNU software, then it is quite an easy job, but for the new user, it could be tough. On the other hand, the binaries/latest things, you choose one of the prerelease packages, which you untar anywhere you want, and just do the setup described in the SwarmFAQ. Then you do have an installed, functioning Swarm distribution.

(2) In addition, when I was trying to unzip the zipped file "Swarm-2.2-pretest-2.tar.gz" from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, the unzipping process failed after 5 minutes, and the computer went cracked--I got a warning message, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,...***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XC0000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000,0X804FA688) Beginning dump of physical memory, physical memory dump comlete, ...". What is wrong?

Looks like a windows XP problem. This error happens inside a cygwin shell? I would not trust any windows tool to do your unzipping and untarring.

*(b) Are you suggesting to do unzipping and untarring in cygwin shell?
*

YES, we always suggest (insist) you use the Cygwin shell for jobs like that. As you have seen first hand, the native windows tools are not very good. SO learn to use tar.

*

*Thanks,

Li An