Re: Comments and questions

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Comments and questions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:42:39 -0500

At 09:25 AM 8/23/02, you wrote:

(2) In addition, when I was trying to unzip the zipped file "Swarm-2.2-pretest-2.tar.gz" from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, the unzipping process failed after 5 minutes, and the computer went cracked--I got a warning message, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,...***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XC0000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000,0X804FA688) Beginning dump of physical memory, physical memory dump comlete, ...". What is wrong?

An,

I'll et Paul speak to where he put what on the Swarm web site. But as for the error described above, this looks an awful lot like a hardware driver problem on your system. (Notice the "IRQL" part.) I'm getting similar stops trying to get an ATI TV tuner and a Logitech webcam to work through a USB2 hub under XP; evidently that's not too well supported yet.

At the bottom of the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) which gave you that error message there should be a line identifying the driver that gave XP hiccups. Try to search for that driver on your C: drive; the directory where you find it might identify which piece of hardware is malfunctioning. Then call their tech support, or tech support for your computer system (whichever gives the most helpful responses!)

Good luck,
Sven Thommesen