[Swarm-Support] Re: CYGWIN/MAKEFILE

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: CYGWIN/MAKEFILE
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:20:26 -0700

S> Dear Alex, Thanks for the prompt response unfortunately it still
S> does not work.  The version of CYGWIN now on the Web does not
S> install yet a version downloaded in 2002 (CYGWIN-B20) installs but
S> does not run giving the following error messages:

You can't install the Cygwin from www.cygwin.com, you need a specially
modified Cygwin from the Swarm site, see the details at:

http://www.swarm.org/wiki/Swarm_FAQ:Windows_installation

Specifically under the section:

"Installing the Windows binaries"

note the link to:

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/cygwin/setup.exe

Before you start it would be a good idea to get rid of all traces of
previous Cygwin installations.

You will be wanting to install Swarm 2.2, from your traceback it is
clear you are running an old version of Swarm (2.1.1) which is now
deprecated and unsupported.

After you have removed all traces of all Swarm and/or Cygwin
installations, please follow the Windows instructions above *to the
letter*.

Disclaimer: I don't run Swarm on Windows, so I haven't done this
myself but many Windows users have reliably installed Swarm following
these directions.

Alex