Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Re: Swarm 2.2 on Intel (and PPC) Mac OSX Tiger
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:26:11 +1000

On 24/07/2006, at 11:35 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
To disable this feature sounds fishy and a bit fascist to me, like "when something is hard or confusing, forbid it".

That is not the point at all. Your discussion of the merits of nested functions at the source code level is totally accepted. The problem is that at least one hardware manufacturer has made it clear they intend to disable the low level mechanisms used by the compiler to implement the source code, and the gcc developers say there is no intention to write a different implementation in the compiler.

I have only had time for a quick glance at what Scott has done. I can't see a problem with the preprocessor conditionals. I would feel happier if they were more in the autotools spirit - 'configure for functionality not software versions'. More specifically I would suggest:
1.  The mods should be in the trunk
2.  The define should by something like NO_NESTED_FUNCTIONS
3. As a temporary measure, it should be defined by default on Darwin and available as a configure option. 4. As a proper fix, we need an autoconf test to see if the compiler accepts nested functions and use that as the default able to be overridden by the builder. I am happy to write that when I can find a bit of time.

Bill