Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:52:08 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:26:55PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Maybe the better thing to do is to fix the existing installer first.
> >
> > I posted a patch fixing the linking problems, now compiling TeXmacs on
> > Cygwin should be a simple matter of running "./configure && make &&
> > make install".
>
> That has been done already.

Great. But I would have liked to know earlier. That would have
prevented me from spending five or six hours over several days on my
crawling VMWare Windows system.

> > After that, platform specific installation instruction is just a
> > matter of telling how to install the required dependences.
>
> Yes, but the web-page should be suited for *real non-expert* users.

I am unsure *real non-expert* (let us say it flatly: clueless) users
use Cygwin. Yet some more good documentation cannot hurt, if someone
else is willing to do it.

> > Don't you think it would be a good thing to document those ideas you
> > have? Currently understanding the development direction of TeXmacs is
> > a real detective work. Maybe the task manager would be an appropriate
> > support, maybe something else would be needed.
>
> I think that this is not necessary here: Stephan said to be interested
> by an interface with GNUplot. Interfacing TeXmacs with extern systems
> has been very well documented. Therefore, he can give this a try.
> It seems unreasonable to expect all developers to be aware of
> all aspects of TeXmacs.

I was not talking about that specific case.

All developers are likely *interested* in all aspects of TeXmacs. I
believe we can have a healthier developper community if everyone has
an idea of what is going on and what is there place in the big
picture.

I understand that would be a lot of time and that you have other
things to do, so I am wondering what medium would make it easiest.

That is an old topic. Generally, I think it is good to spend time to
improve transparence and horizontal communication, but you seem to
prefer vertical communication.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org