Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 01:19:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 05:35:50PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > I did not have time to make these two improvements yet;
> > maybe a nice exercise for a hacker :^)
> > Here is the new tm-bracket.scm:
>
> I think it would be nice for those who have an interest in closely
> following the changes the code base if you could post patches for the
> changes you make on the source.

I think that this is really not necessary.
The potential benefit is certainly much smaller than
the administration this requires. I think that you are
very much exagerating the need for such a thing.
Don't forget that new releases are quite frequent.

> Currently my plan is to maintain a public arch repository for
> mainstream in which I will reverse engineer the changes in mainline.
> Not really the ideal solution, but that is going to be good enough for
> experimentation. And anyway I am already doing this reverse
> engineering work for my own benefit.

I also regret to see you spending a lot of time on
this kind of issues. I think that good documentation of
the source code and working towards a more stable API
is far more important. IMHO, your focus on live patches
and changelogs costs a lot of time which is better spent
elsewhere.