Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:19:20 +0200 (CEST)

> > > Currently my plan is to maintain a public arch repository for
> > > mainstream in which I will reverse engineer the changes in
> > > mainline. Not really the ideal solution, but that is going to be
> > > good enough for experimentation. And anyway I am already doing
> > > this reverse engineering work for my own benefit.
> >
> > I also regret to see you spending a lot of time on this kind of
> > issues. I think that good documentation of the source code and
> > working towards a more stable API is far more important. IMHO, your
> > focus on live patches and changelogs costs a lot of time which is
> > better spent elsewhere.
>
> I agree with all you say here.
>
> I wish I spent less time on reverse engineering new releases, and that
> is why I am asking for ideas to make it easier with the minimal cost
> on your side.
>
> Anyhow, I am not going to stop monitoring what is going on. Putting
> that work in a good revision control system (*not* CVS) just seems the
> best way to make it reusable.
>
> Live patches are important, I do need them to do my work. If other
> people need them too and contribute to a distributed development
> system, everybody win.

I think that live patches might become important, but that
they are not yet. The big reorganization I am working on
will result in a more stable API and more localized changes
for the sequel. You just have to be patient. Don't forget that
I have been working five years on TeXmacs, and that I had to
be very patient too. And, once again, good documentation and
stable API's seem to be a better priority.

> <flame>I think that you are very much underestimating the frustration
> experienced by contributors to the project. You previously noted that
> the linux kernel does not have a CVS, and that contributors submit
> patches to the maintainer. Do not forget that the linux kernel has an
> insanely branched code base.</flame>
>
> Really, I am not trying to start a flame. I am just looking for ways
> to improve everyone effectiveness and avoid uneeded frustration.

I understand, but I cannot change the mode of developement
during a big cleanup phase. There are also many things which
don't please me in the way things are being developed,
but I don't complain about that so often.

By the way, I am not sure that, apart from you, there are
that many people who are frustrated by the development mode.
If I am wrong, then I would like to hear so from such other
people and discuss with them the solutions they propose.