Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken

From: znmeb
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:14:28 -0500

Quoting Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>:

> Hi Ed,
>
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
> > There's actually a bug filed on this.
> >
> > https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=10739
> >
> > There wasn't much information from the original bug reporter. Here's
> > what I know:
> >
> > When the R team moved to R 2.0.0, they made some rather extensive
> > changes to the way R libraries and packages work. As a consquence,
> > packages that worked with older versions of R need to be rebuilt to work
> > with R 2.0.0. The details can be found in the R documentation at
> >
> > http://cran.us.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://cran.us.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html
> >
> > I don't know enough about TeXmacs and how it accesses R to fix this
> > myself, although I do plan to dig into the source and see if I can find
> > a workaround. I try to stay "bleeding edge" on Atlas (linear algebra
> > library), R, TeXmacs and Maxima, so getting a solution to this is of
> > interest to me.
>
> I CC-ed the message to address@hidden which is an alias for people
> (me and Michael) who are specifically interested in the R interface.
> All R-related code in TeXmacs is in the R plug-in (TeXmacs/plugins/r).
> I recommend to look there if you want to contribute.
>
> Yours, Joris

Yeah, I found that. I think what needs to be done is this:

R has a separate package management interface. So TeXmacs needs to carry the R
plugin as a "standard" R source package tarball. During the configure step,
TeXmacs should check for the existence of R. There are two possibilities:

1. R is present. In that case, the TeXmacs install should execute the *R package
installation* on the source package. It should leave the R package behind in a
documented place. Users with an older version of R who upgrade to R 2.0.0 will
need to rebuild the package. That's what happened to the original poster and to
me.

2. R is absent. In that case, the TeXmacs install should leave the R package on
the system in source tarball form and give the user instructions for installing
it when they install R.

Since it doesn't seem to be a very volatile piece of code, you might want to
contribute the R TeXmacs interface library to the CRAN repository, so someone
with R and TeXmacs can get the package that way.