Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken

From: M. Edward Borasky
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:58:03 -0800

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 02:01 -0800, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> I was unable to get this to work with R 2.0.0. I'm not sure why it
> didn't work; I did what was required by R. In any event, R 2.0.1 came
> out on the 15th of November. I just tested this, and it appears to
work
> for the R piece. I am just about to test with TeXmacs 1.0.4.4 to see
if
> I have a solid fix. In any event, the R package can't be build with R
> 2.0.0; you need 2.0.1.

I now have it working with R 2.0.0. Here are the steps for a workaround.

1. Install TeXmacs. I have only tested this with 1.0.4.4, but I suspect
it will work with earlier versions.

2. Install R. The problem only occurs with R 2.0.0, so I will assume you
have R 2.0.0 or R 2.0.1. I got it to work with both.

3. Go into the "share" repository for TeXmacs. I tested this using
normal privileges by using a prefix pointing to a user-level directory,
but most people will have installed TeXmacs in "/usr/local" or "/usr".
The default for Gentoo Linux, which is the OS I'm running, is "/usr". So
this will most likely be "/usr/local/share" or "/usr/share", and you'll
need to be "root" for the remainder of the workaround.

4. Do

   cd TeXmacs/plugins/r/r/

5. Edit "TeXmacs/DESCRIPTION". *Remove* the line at the bottom that
starts with "Built:".

6. Type

   R CMD build --force TeXmacs

This will build a source package called "TeXmacs_0.1.tar.gz".

7. Type

   R CMD INSTALL -l `pwd` TeXmacs_0.1.tar.gz

This installs the library you just built.

Now you can start TeXmacs up and insert an R session. Some of these
steps may be superfluous; I know you at least need to do 5 and 6. I'm
going to post this saga to the R development list and see if they can
come up with a more streamlined process.