tlf-devel

Re: Using hamlib for CW keying

From: Drew Arnett
Subject: Re: Using hamlib for CW keying
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:26:50 +0000

When you ask for keying by hamlib, you are asking for keying via CAT,
correct?  (I would have to look to see if hamlib supports anything
besides the CAT port on rigs, like the key line.)

I wrote a python application that acts like cwdaemon listening on a
network socket, and drives a USB to key adapter (K1EL WinKeyer USB).
I need to push a python3 version of that to github.  (I plan to do
over next week's holiday.)  That works great, but I have been thinking
about trying keying from the CAT port.  It might work great
functionally.  Reducing cabling would be a benefit.  But, I'll
probably keep the ability to use a key line interface for playing with
HB or old rigs.  On my todo list was to look at the hamlib server
mode.  It will talk to a network server version of itself, no?  So,
that might be an interesting way for me to insert my own application.
Would still need to have TLF modified to use hamlib for keying,
though.  Alternatively, for fun, my application could use CAT for
keying, but it could present both a hamlib socket interface for CAT
and a cwdaemon interface for keying.  This could work with existing
TLF.

Please point me to Ervin's Python 2 script or send me a copy.  Chances
are good that I can port it to Python 3 for you.  (I routinely deal
with the socket and pyserial issues that 2to3 doesn't automagically
fix.)

Best regards,

Drew
n7da