tlf-devel

Re: Using hamlib for CW keying

From: Drew Arnett
Subject: Re: Using hamlib for CW keying
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 14:26:09 +0000

Portable is good.  So I'd ask if hamlib found it possible to support
speed changes.

KX3 is only 3 wire serial CAT interface, so no RTS/DTR style keying
possible.  In that case, I suppose a Y cable could be fabricated that
fans out RTS/DTR to a separate key plug.  That's a bit tidier perhaps.

Another difference between rigs.  Some have a jack for paddles and a
jack for key.  KX3 doesn't, so I like using the external WinKeyer box
to let logging software and paddles key the rig.  Using the WinKeyer
box means I'll have a common solution regardless of which rig I end up
using.  (Operating at home, operating at someone else's station, FD
and other situations where the gear is an assortment from all the
participants, etc.)

Another bonus using a WinKer (or equivalent) is that the paddle input
then pauses any sending, too.  However, recently during contests, I've
been better about using CTRL-K to do fills instead of reaching for the
paddles. I'm still too green to know which method of keying for fills
I will ultimately end up preferring.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da