Re: [VM] Finding IMAP mailboxes that have new/unread mail

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Finding IMAP mailboxes that have new/unread mail
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:59:50 +0000

> I am trying to use VM for my daily e-mail handling, which mostly involves
> an IMAP account with > 100 mailboxes. Messages are sorted into those
> mailboxes by the server, so any mailbox is likely to contain new mail at
> any time. Is there any way to make VM tell me which mailboxes have new
> messages? It would also be nice, though less important, to be able to scan
> for mailboxes with unread messages.

That seems to be a very useful piece of functionality.  I will put it on the
wish list.

At the moment, what you can do is to use VM's virtual folder functionality
to combine all those mailboxes (or some selection, take your pick) into a
single virtual folder.  Here is what I do to combine three IMAP mail boxes
"2011-3", "2011-4" and "INBOX" into a single virtual folder.

(defun mailhost-folder (name)
  (format "imap:MAILHOST:143:%s:login:MYLOGIN:*" name))

(defun mailhost-folders (&rest names)
  (mapcar 'mailhost-folder names))

(setq vm-virtual-folder-alist
      `(
        ("current"
         (,(mailhost-folders "2011-3" "2011-4" "INBOX")
          (any)))
       ))

If you want to see only the new messages instead of all messages, replace
`any' in the last definition by `new'.  (These are VM's virtual folder
selectors.  You can use other selectors too, if you wish.)

Then, if you type V V current <RET>, you get to see a virtual folder called
`current' with all the messages.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,
Uday