Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting in

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting into vile, OK otherwise.
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 13:29:00 +0000

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:03:03AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Chris G wrote:
>
>> I'm copying text from an ssh session on a remote machine into local
>> files I'm editing with vile.
>>
>> If I put vile into insert mode and past the text into vile itself then
>> all extended (i.e. >127) characters are lost.  They disappear
>> completely, they don't appear as backslash sequences or anything like
>> that.
>
> it's supposed to work...
>
> Which version of vile are you using, and what terminal emulator?
> (so I can try to reproduce it, this evening).

It's "vile version 9.6m for linux-gnu" running on xubuntu 8.10.

It's running in the xfce default terminal which is "Terminal 0.2.8 X
Terminal Emulator".

Strange, I've just retried it (trying a gnome-terminal as well as the
above xfce terminal) and it works this time.

I'll try and tie down exactly when it fails.

Aha! I've got it.  The problem is in xvile, not vile.  When I paste
into vile it works OK, when I paste into xvile it doesn't. The xvile
version is the same as the vile one above.