Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when it's loaded?
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 12:46:47 +0000

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:50:47PM +0000, James Freer wrote:
> That would format the whole file which for email (assuming Mutt is
> like Alpine) one doesn't want. I think he only wants paragraph
> format like Pico's ^J. I did use vim with Set Linebreak in the
> .vimrc - can't remember exactly now... but it wrapped ALL because
> with the >> there isn't then a blank line to mark a separate
> paragraph. So it was back to Pico until i've mastered colour schemes
> and other things for my full .vimrc file.

That's right, I hadn't really completely thought out what the problem
was.

My mail client (mutt) feeds the whole *body* of the message, with each
line prefixed with '> ', into the editor.  What I really want to do is
to find only the long lines and split them in the way that CTRL-Af}
would do (except that it wouldn't stop at the end of the line).

Thinking about it further the obvious approach is a wrapper script for
vile when mutt calls the editor (the editor command in mutt can be
specified).  It should be pretty easy to write something in awk for
example to wrap the long lines as required.

--
Chris Green