web-hurd

TODO

From: Zeno Gantner
Subject: TODO
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:38:25 +0100

Hello readers of this mailing list,
as my holiday is still one month, I had some
thoughts on what to do for the different hurd
sites and for hurd documentation in general...

Generally speaking, the sites do not look very
up to date. This has a good and a bad side.
The good is: Developers are so busy in programming
and packaging so there is no time for maintaining
web sites ;-).
The bad: People think the project died. If I compare
the sites to smaller/less important operating systems
such as www.xMach.org or www.Reactos.com , it seems that
there is more activity. This is not true, but every
interested person clicking around will think so.

hurd.gnu.org
------------
 - rewrite l4-hurd.html
   (I am currently doing this. content: what to
    do before starting this port)
 - add more information to the Hurd History
   (it is only written until 1991)

hurddocs.org
------------
 - rewrite to display properly with Netscape
 - write a texinfo tutorial (how to write docs for the hurd)
 - host some installation guides/tutorials
   (or provide links)
 - Translator-Development-HOWTO
 - www.hurddocs.org message: This link should be pointed at
216.136.171.204
 - the Development-HOWTO should be called a link list
   ('cause it is no HOWTO document)
 - WHATIS: mach, server, ports, microkernel (plus several other stuff)
 - XFree86-HOWTO
 - Virtual-Console-HOWTO
 - the Hurd Reference Manual stll needs some work

hurd.sourceforge.net
--------------------
 - some information about what apps/games/
   languages already work
 - some screenshots
 - some logos / images / icons
   (they already exist, I have seen them on the
    web)

hurd pages at debian
--------------------
(Marcus Brinkmann is the maintainer, I think he has better things to do
and would be glad to receive some help)
 - infos about what is happening at the moment (news section)
 - pointer to Kernel Cousin for most recent news (news section)
 - update the task list
 - How to port debian packages (perhaps also on hurddocs.org)
 - several obsolete URLs at the links page

please send any comments to the mailing list
if you are interested in doing some of these tasks
or if you have comments.

cu
        Zeno