web-hurd

Re: Web-page policy.

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Web-page policy.
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:41:45 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 01:25:11PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> That is up to Wolfgang really, if he wants to change the name, change the
> layout of the document, etc.

BTW, I noticed now it is a texinfo source, we don't want to change the
format of that generated HTML! :)

> Maybe it could be added to the Hurd manual
> under a fitting chapter, "Translator examples" or something.
> While we are on the topic of the Hurd manual, can't we split it up a bit?
> Like putting all trivfs stuff in trivfs.texi and put a "include trivfs.texi"
> string in hurd.texi?

Sure, we can do that.  But it is work that it is not really essential, so it
is not really done right now :)  I agree it should be done (maybe a bit
later, when we stabilize the structure?  I am not sure it is finalized yet).

> I suppose that we could start by renaming the "Architectural overviews" in
> docs.hml to what you suggested, and add a link to the guide.

My main idea was to avoid taking the short cut if there is a proper way to
do it.  So we should ask Wolfgang first (he doesn't seem to be reading the
list, does he?).  Although I applaud your goal to make it easier for others
to find information, I think our priority should be slightly different: to
integrate where integration makes sense.  Linking will achieve what you want
to do, but it would not make Wolfgang's work a part of the GNU Hurd, while
decreasing the incentive to actually perform the integration properly.  Over
long, this will harm us.

Thanks,
Marcus

--