xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: Byrial Jensen
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 23:21:23 +0100

01-01-2012 20:31, h.g. muller wrote:

Hello,

A good new year to all of you.

Perhaps we should make a more-easily configurable command, like

Exec=xboard -ncp -opt ~/.pgnviewrc -lgf %f

So that the user could create a file .pgnviewrc stuffed with options to
configure XBoard for this partiular application (including
"-saveSettingsOnExit false" to prevent they leak into the persistent
settings file). Not sure how this could best be organied. Perhaps there
should be a directory ~/.xboard where these type of settings files could
be collected.

It is fine to collect all settings files in a ~/.xboard directory

It is also fine to specify additional option files in the desktop files, but it should not give error messages if these are not found.

We cannot have that xboard will not start due to this error:

$ xboard -opt no-such-file
xboard: Failed to open indirection file no-such-file
$

(BTW: That is yet an untranslated error message)

So the -opt option should be changed to ignore non-existing files, or there should be introduced a new option which does.

- Byrial