xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:34:15 +0100

if we add a .xboard directory, we should make this configurable, so that
different distributions can add their preferred directory for this... on
my computer many programs seem to use ~/.config/<progname> for example.

Indeed, although this might be cumbersome, as it would require modification
of the .desktop files before offeringthem to the systemwith xdg-....
It is also awkward that the user settings are not stored in that same directory, but in ~/.xboardrc . Do distributions define a variable for this, similar to $DATADIR,
which we could draw on in the cofigure/make process?

If necessary we could add a new option -userDirectory, for which we set the default through a configure-supplied macro, and a new option similar to -ini or -at/-opt/@ which looks in the userDir rather than in the current directory for the settings file,
and does not complain when it is not there (-userIni?).