xboard-devel

Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:21:08 +0100

-viewerOptions seems fine, but is -viewer needed? We could apply the viewerOptions automatically when a PGN-file is loaded, no matter if it is because of a commandline option or from the "File|Load Game" menu.

-lgf is also used with engines in match mode, so it does not necessarily imply the user would want XBoard configured as game viewer. Furthermore, I don't want to make it impossible for users to explicitly choose if they want to use an engine or just edit games. There could still be legitimate reasons to want -ncp mode with a PGN file for users that automatically invoke an engine when clicking one. For instance when he wants to look up a game in a variant that his default analysis engine cannot play.

Similary there cound also be other -xxxOptions which are applied when something happens or some mode is turned on.

Indeed, -icsOptions could be another useful one, activated with -ics.

No, there is no need, but it could be easier to have only one place to edit these settings, and the same engine can be several times in the list with different nicknames and options. It also be that the user wants to have several analysis engines to choose among, then he can prepare entries for them all in the engine list.

That was my first thought too, but now I m doubting that. Most of the viewerOptions would be for controlling the XBoard conformation, andnot be engine specific. Changing "stockfish -fUCI" ito "Crafty" in the exisiting -viewerOptions line presented in a dedicted single-line text-edit of the options dialog would not be significantly more difficult than changing "Stockfish-ana" into "Crafty-ana" if the field was representing a nickname.And the first time you did it, it wouldbemuch worse, because now you would have to duplicate the Stockfish-ana line in the engine list,and make the stockfish -> crafty substitution anyway.

And for people that would like the nickname system, they can almostperfectly mimic it by using settings-file names in the -viewerOption field ("@stockfish" or "@crafty"),and edit the real startup line into these files rather than in the engine list.

Yes, most Linux/Unix users will probably know about .xboardrc (or .xboard/xboardrc if moved) but only a few will know the format and possibilities for the options, so being able to edit -firstChessProgramNames inside xboard would be good.
Well, it is easy enough to port the WinBoard menu item for this toXBoard, but that won't solve the problem they have to know the option format to know how to edit it.